Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Solar Energy and Other Things

This post is a mixed bag of pictures and things I did and saw between the 18th and the 22nd of July.

But first things first - I said I was going to show you my new short hair cut. It is not all that "new" - I've been having my hair cut short almost every year, as it is just not good hair for wearing it long. Now it really is dry within ten minutes out of the shower, which is very practical when I have a late shower after an evening run, or want to be ready to leave the house early-ish in the morning. Don't mind my daft facial expression - I can't help it!


My sister took this picture of me on July 22, after we had finished eating delicious veggie burgers at the farm shop / restaurant nearby, nicely breaking up an after-work walk.

Let's quickly pop back to July 18, a warm and sunny Saturday. O.K. and I spent the weekend at my place, and went on an evening walk to a beer garden (which was overcrowded, but we found a table on the terrace of a nearby pizzeria) and to enjoy the sunset, which we did:




On the 19th, we walked through the deer park and the palace grounds, where I took the pictures of the sand sculptures in my previous post. Just before entering the deer park, I could not resist taking a (not very good) picture of this sunflower field:


Monday, the 20th, was spent entirely in Stuttgart. It was rather hot and not the ideal day to be in the big city, but I didn't have a choice; another one of my clients had asked me to work with them for the day. All went well there, too; there were only a handful of us sharing a large, airy conference room, and of course nobody shook hands.

On the 21st, a friend needed to talk and came visiting after work. She stayed for about an hour, which meant I was out walking a little later than usual - just in time for the most beautiful evening light:




The next day, Wednesday (22.07.), saw me once more walking on the fields with my sister. I was home at 9:30 pm after a nice meal and a beautiful walk in good company.





For the last part of our walk, we chose the solar "farm" at the outskirts of town. This was or is a big project for Ludwigsburg. According to the information board, it is part of a communal project to protect the climate, by the name of SolarHeatGrid. The fields with rows and rows of solar panels were finished earlier this year, and they claim it is the largest outdoor solar thermal site in Germany.
The picture shows only one of several fields. They may not be to everybody's taste, but seen from the viewing platform and walkway constructed at one side, they have their very own aesthetic value, I think.
Also, if it's good for the climate, it is good for us!



The board informs the interested reader that the entire SolarHeatGrid project saves 3,700 tons of CO2 every year, the equivalent of 1.6 million litres of fuel, a forest area as large as 470 football fields or 500 trips around the Earth by car.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar